Thursday, October 20, 2016

Suffering Artist?

I'm not particularly wimpy but I don't appreciate pain and especially if it is self inflicted pain which usually leaves me questioning my mental capacity. With that in mind it is nearly impossible to imagine why someone would choose to nail their scrotum to Red Square,sew their mouth shut and wrap themselves in barb wire,then again I don't live in Russia so I don't know if this type of performance art may have merit. The young man who has done these things claims he is trying to awaken the people to what is going on,but it seems to me he may be defeating his purpose with the gruesome "works of art" causing more people to turn away than to look at their lives more closely.
Pyotr Pavlensky
Pyotr Pavlensky with sewn up mouth
Pyotr Pavlensky lies on the ground, wrapped in barbed wire roll

No comments:

Post a Comment