Saturday, March 16, 2013

Cruising

With Carnival Cruise Lines making the news, not once but twice, with less than appealing mechanical difficulties I was prompted to remember my first and only cruise experience,coincidentally also with Carnival. While nothing as disastrous as being dead in the water and waiting to be towed into port,none the less the experience left me with no desire to repeat that type of vacation. There was a minor mechanical problem on the ship,out of 4 elevators only 1 worked,in all fairness I think for a brief time there was a  second elevator running,but as I was able bodied I used the stairs to allow the handicapped less of a wait for on board transportation. People either love cruise trips or really don't care for them. A word of advice if you want to try a cruise,do not try to get a bargain. In the case of cruises you truly get what you pay for. While chatting with folks from  different cruise lines in one of the ports-of-call,we compared notes and I found the Carnival Line to be sorely lacking in several areas. Their food offerings were not nearly as sumptuous,nor were the cabins and oddly enough every other cruise line had a full complement of working elevators. Even without the inconveniences I encountered,cruising just isn't for me. I enjoy setting my own pace and making my own choices when I travel,but people who enjoy the cruise vacation may like it for the very reasons I don't,they don't want to make decisions and choices on their time off.
One final note as long as I am talking about ships...I noticed a ship going by the other day and painted on its side was SANKO,someone didn't do enough research when they named that shipping company!
Carnival Destiny.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment