Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Holiday Magic

The magic I'm referring to is how having a holiday in the week makes me get the days mixed up,I may have made a reference to this in a past post as it is annoying,plus I figured once I was retired it would no longer be an issue...wrong! With that said I wanted to mention St. Nicholas since it is getting to be that time of year. Mostly he is associated with children and  giving gifts but he is also patron saint to some unsavory sorts as well. This is only a partial list as many lay claim to Nicholas: prostitutes,thieves,murderers,(also bankers and lawyers),brewers, brides and grooms,prisoners,pirates,pharmacists,the three gold balls that are a symbol of pawnbrokers also connect to St. Nicholas, and there are many more!  Not to mention Nicholas was known for getting into fistfights,not exactly the warm and fuzzy guy we think of today at this time of year.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment