Saturday, November 7, 2015

See You in the Funny Papers

The phrase "see you in the funny papers" is seldom heard in recent times,it came into being in the 1920s from an uncertain source and remained a way to say goodbye and at times meaning the recipient was a laughable person,until it fell out of popularity around the 1950s. Of course no one really expects to see anyone they know in the funny papers...or do they? I know this will sound kind of crazy but have you ever wondered if some of the characters know characters from other comic strips? I'm not talking about comic books,or graphic novels but the funny pages found in newspapers. I have always been sure that B.C knew several different characters,this was especially true when "The Far Side" was still found in syndication (1/1/1980-1/1/1995). People often overlook the importance of comic strips in the ways they influence our culture,but those of us who were weaned on Gary Larson know comics can be so much more. On days when I am feeling less than amused I can still be reduced to tears of laughter by breaking out one of my Gary Larson collections,but maybe that's just me?

The Far Side, by Gary Larson


No comments:

Post a Comment