Sunday, January 31, 2016

Good Wrinkles?

I know hard to believe that there is anything good about wrinkles but technically the wrinkles I'm referring to aren't really wrinkles but the pruney feature our hands and feet display after being immersed in water. It was once thought to be caused by the skin absorbing water and swelling but it is actually the blood vessels constricting below the skin which indicates the wrinkling is controlled by the nervous system. The difference that information makes means it is an evolutionary in purpose. After the wrinkles being researched it became apparent that when the fingers and toes were wrinkled it allowed for better grip making it easier for our ancestors to grasp wet things and walk on slippery surfaces. My conclusion is I won't need to soak my hands or feet,I can just use my face for traction purposes!

woman's pruney toes in pool

No comments:

Post a Comment