Friday, January 29, 2016

Wanna Walnetto?

I was innocently going about my morning when I wondered if I needed to add nuts to my shopping list. My next thought was what kind of nuts should I get,my favorites go back and forth between cashews and pistachios,but I have been intending to see if they had walnuts in the bulk section as they are supposed to be really good for you. No sooner than the word walnut entered my brain that I wondered whatever happened to Walnettos. For those of you who are unfamiliar with Walnettos they are a chewy caramel-walnut candy introduced in the US in 1919 and were a long time movie theater favorite. Walnettos made a big comeback in the 1960s from a skit done on the TV show Laugh-In. Artie Johnson played Tyrone Horneigh,a dirty old man who would make a weekly offer to a little old woman,played by Ruth  Buzzi ,"Wanna Walnetto?" She would reply by bashing him over the head with her purse. Maybe it was one of those things you have to see for yourself?
Walnettos Laugh In

1 comment:

  1. In the Led Zeppelin hit song "Dazed and Confused", I always hear the lyrics as:

    Been dazed and confused for so long it's not true
    Walnetto Woman, never bargained for you

    ReplyDelete