Saturday, January 26, 2013

Healthy Snacks?

Earlier today as I was enjoying a Fuji apple for a snack a memory crept unbidden into my consciousness. Didn't I read somewhere that apples contain cyanide? As a rule I am not overly cautious (at least not on the paranoid level) of the foods I eat,the stress of that alone is enough to kill a person,but cyanide seemed like something I should check out. There are several foods and additives that are suspect but fruits and vegetables have always seemed healthful out of choices ranging from nuclear waste to no nutritional value. Eating healthy isn't an easy task anymore. Before I wander completely off my point I will return to the not so innocent apple (remember the Garden of Eden!). Aside from what they have been sprayed with and what chemicals were used to grow them,apples are fairly innocuous. The cyanide is found only in the seeds and even if you were to swallow the seeds you would still be okay as long as they weren't chewed. The hard durable shells on the seeds allow them to pass through your digestive system intact. The cassava root,commonly known as tapioca,is an even greater natural source of cyanide,but the drying and soaking as it is processed renders it harmless. Good luck with your food choices!
Image Ref: 07-13-9 - Apples, Viewed 4994 times

No comments:

Post a Comment