Friday, January 11, 2013

People Actually Like Them?

I was never a fan of PEZ candies. I know as a kid I had a dispenser but found it disappointing because it didn't work the way I had anticipated it would. Apparently I am in the minority,as over 3 billion of the candy bricks are consumed per year in the U.S. alone.
PEZ was introduced in 1927 in Austria,the name comes from the first,middle and last letters of the German word for peppermint (pfefferminz) which was the first flavor. The first PEZ were sold in small tins,the first dispensers (1948) were similar in shape to a disposable lighter,and were marketed as an alternative to smoking. In 1952 PEZ was introduced in the U.S.,in 1955 the company began placing heads on the dispensers and marketed them for children. Santa and Mickey Mouse were among the first character dispensers.
PEZ photo courtest PEZPEZ photo courtest PEZ

No comments:

Post a Comment