Sunday, August 23, 2015

Always Watching

I watch the crows and the crows watch me. I don't know what they get out of watching me but I am forever fascinated by their behavior. One thing that I have noticed over the years of crow watching is the ones around here never seem to molt,which in most circumstances mean a bird is in poor health,but these birds are the picture of health,always vibrant black and never seem to have a feather out of place. I did a little research and found out that they are supposed to molt in July-August,but I still see no sign of feather loss. I am wondering if they hide out somewhere when they molt,but how would they feed if they were doing that? Plus there never seems to be any time when they aren't nearby. They are fearless of the Eagles and will pursue them to their death when they catch them robbing their nests,at the same time once their young are capable of feeding themselves they can be brutal about forcing them to find and eat their own food,still once the young birds are adults they cooperate as a unit with other crows to insure the flocks safety and general well being.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment