Thursday, August 6, 2015

No Smoking Gun

Today I decided I wanted to find out what Van Gogh had used to cut off his ear,I know it is kind of a weird thing to wonder about but that has never stopped me in the past! I figured it would be a "cut" and dried type research,just a matter of reading about his choice of instrument for mutilation,but that was not the case. There are several schools of thought about the ear injury,some lay blame on Vincent who in a fit of rage  used a knife to lob off the lobe of his ear,others say he used a razor,but there is yet another faction who claim it was Gauguin in a heated argument with Vincent slashed off Van Gogh's ear with his epee.  Those who believe the latter theory have cited clues hidden in paintings and Van Gogh's letters to his brother that point to a pact of silence made between  the two men  to protect Gauguin from prosecution. I guess I just wan't meant to know who made the cut!
Self Portrait with Bandaged Ear, 1889 by Gogh, Vincent van (1853-90)

No comments:

Post a Comment