Friday, August 14, 2015

Not To Be Trusted!

To say I am upset about this information is a gross understatement. It leaves me wondering what the difference is between fiction and non-fiction, if reference works deliberately use false entries exactly where is a person supposed to get information they can rely on? This practice has apparently been going on for years and is employed by dictionaries,encyclopedias,maps and other reference works. I am familiar with the phrase "only believe half of what you see,and none of what you hear" but I didn't apply it to the written word in reference materials. The reasons for this practice range from copyright traps to out and out hoaxes. Maybe I am the only one who was unaware of this,but exactly where is a person supposed to turn for reliable information?

No comments:

Post a Comment