Saturday, August 8, 2015

Handwriting on the Wall

As the debates rage on about dropping cursive writing from the schools I wonder at how the younger generations are able to make any legible symbols at all. Am I the only one that has noticed how they hold a writing implement? They wad it up in their hand in a fist like grip,complete with white knuckles,it is amazing that the pen or pencil doesn't snap in half. When I was taught penmanship how you held the pen/pencil was an important part. I was taught that if you held it too tightly your hand would tire more quickly,in fact I recall the instructors walking around the room and seeing if they could pull the pens/pencils from your hands,if they couldn't you were told to hold it more loosely. I guess none of that really matters since cursive writing is becoming obsolete...so if that is the case,why are they still teaching kids how to read analog clocks? I know it isn't exactly the same but just as handwriting has been replaced by keyboarding so have analog clocks been replaced by digital.
Note how little effort is needed to hold the pen.
The "open triangle". Note the index and middle finger really does the writing, while the middle finger just sort of rides along.

No comments:

Post a Comment