Friday, August 21, 2015

Early Safety

I have no idea what made me start thinking about early explorers or the ships bringing passengers to the new world,but how on earth did they manage to get anywhere at all? It seems to me that the captains and crews must have been half in the bag most of the time since they drank mainly beer and rum on their journeys,it is a wonder they didn't run aground before they left their respective ports. I know part of the reason for the rum was it was mixed with lemon or lime and water (then called grog) to ward off scurvy,but how did they keep from getting dehydrated? I must be going about this search the wrong way as I'm not finding the information on the supplies aboard the early sailing vessels. Good thing there wasn't a Coast Guard in those early days,they would have locked up entire crews for DUI. Oh well,if nothing else the choice of beverages on board helps explain the early sailing songs.

No comments:

Post a Comment