Friday, August 10, 2012

Accidental Cleaning

Do you ever hear of a new product and wonder how someone came up with the idea? That was my first thought when I heard about the Xeros dry cleaning (nearly) waterless washing machine. The amount of water used is 90% less than a conventional washing machine.
Okay,here comes the part that made me wonder,this new process uses nylon beads to clean. The idea for the polymer based cleaning came from a chemist working on how the dyeing of plastics used in fabrics ( I hadn't thought about plastics being used in fabrics either,though I suppose I should have). He realized that stains on clothes acted similar to dyes. The nylon beads attract stains to their surface then the stains diffuse into the center of the beads.
The savings in water,detergent and electricity,including cost of the beads is about 30% savings. The beads are reused until they reach their saturation point (about 100 uses) and are recycled. Since so little water is used there is no need for drying. 

No comments:

Post a Comment