Sunday, August 5, 2012

Treasures Galore

On July 29 my blog was about Oak Island and what is referred to as the Money Pit,it was titled Island Girl. I stated that I didn't think I could go along with the treasure theory and thought it was more than likely just a sinkhole. Since that time I have had two serendipitous occurrences that have been stuck in my head since it seemed a bit peculiar to write about one treasure and suddenly have two more things relating to that come to my attention.
First of all I received my new copy of Mental Floss magazine and one of the stories in it was about all the shipwrecked treasures that  for the most part have been untouched as there was no way, until recently, to safely retrieve them due of the depth of the various wrecks. There are approximately  3 million shipwrecks around the globe with at least 100 of them with potential values of around $50 million. The cost of the retrieval would cut into the profit considerably,and of course the countries that the ships belonged to often want their treasure back,but if you want to hunt treasure it is probably more worthwhile than risking life and limb at Oak Island.
The next thing that happened relating to treasure was I reread "The Gold Bug" by Edgar Allan Poe. If you have read the short story you might recall that the character William Legrand finds a gold bug and a scrap of parchment and figures out the location of Captain Kidd's buried treasure. One of the points he made when describing how he figured out the cryptogram was that he knew it would be simple as pirates were not know for being well educated,which in turn supports my previous thoughts on the Oak Island treasure...but then again who knows?

No comments:

Post a Comment