Thursday, August 23, 2012

The Joke is Nearly Over

I finally reached the end of my rope yesterday with my telephone/Internet provider. I have been a steady customer with the same company since the early 70's and for over 30 years at my current location...but none of that means anything to them,it is easier for them to look upon me like something less than savory that they stepped in. The reason for my contact with said company was I had received my bill online and after making a change to my account last month that was supposed to lower my bill from $96 to $88 the bill was suddenly $119,so another call ensued. After an hour of giving the same information over and over I was told they couldn't help me with the problem and I needed to call customer service,which is where I had thought I had called in the first place. I said yes,I would be calling them as soon as I lined up another carrier I would be calling to cancel my service.
Not to name names,but Century Link,aka Qwest, aka, Pacific NW Bell,and I believe before that simply Bell Telephone has never been a very customer friendly company,in fact to go one further if there was a way for them to conduct business without any human contact what so ever they would be overjoyed. I know this first hand as I worked for them for a period of time in the mid 70's. There was almost a union strike  and the union had T-shirts made that said "Ma Bell is a Dirty Mother",and even through the multiple name changes that statement remains true. I need to mention at this point that I find it hard to trust a company that is changing its name as often as any career criminal would find need to change theirs. I would also like to clarify the word "bundle",they use it in a way that is meant to make you think of something like "bundle of joy" or another pleasant image...in reality it means that they intend to charge you a bundle for giving you the least they can for your money. Then there is the feeling that you have just signed a contract with Satan himself for your very soul when you agree to accept their terms,and they are like drug dealers,once they know you are dependent on them they tend to keep you at their mercy,or rather lack of mercy. So this morning I went elsewhere and arranged for the same services that I have been getting through Century Link plus my TV which was not included in Century Link's billing and the grand monthly total for my new services will be $68,except for the first month with will be higher because of installation. They were very nice and I don't even have to contact the previous carrier to discontinue my phone with them,I will however have to call them to disconnect the Internet. I can only hope they have a policy in place that says they have to ask customers why they are switching because they will be the ones hanging on the phone for hours on end if they do,and hopefully it will be recorded and maybe actually save someone the same grief in the future,though I am not going to hold my breath on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment