Sunday, October 18, 2015

Gone Green

It's that time of year again when the holidays are upon us,every year something different is brought to my attention that I didn't seem to notice in previous years. With Halloween nearly here I have been wondering why witches are often depicted with green skin,are they supposed to be in a state of decay? That seems more likely for an undead creature,yet they are mainly shown as pale,bloodless beings. There are a few explanations for the green witch skin,one is related to copper arsenate,a bright green dye that is also poisonous,making the green witch  poisonous. I don't really understand the one about plants being the breath of life so the witches skin was made green to remind us of that fact? I must be missing something on that one. The one I find most likely is when the "Wizard of Oz" was released in Technicolor in 1939 they wanted to show off what they could do with color and made the witch green as she wasn't a particular color in the book.
©Getty Images

No comments:

Post a Comment