Monday, October 19, 2015

Horsin' Around

Horseradish is one of those love it or hate it condiments. I enjoy it even when I get a bit more than I intended  and experience that bomb going off inside my head,which in turn clears out the sinus cavity. What I have often wondered about is how it came to be called horseradish,I know it is made from the root of the plant which explains the radish part (radix is Latin for root) but what about the horse part? It was called meerrettich in German (meaning sea root) and it is believed that it was mispronounced into English as mareradish which eventually became horseradish. Horseradish has been around over 3,000 years and has been used as a back rub,aphrodisiac,cough syrup and countless other applications,so love it or hate it you may as well get used to it,it seems to be here to stay.


No comments:

Post a Comment