Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Full Moons

Last night when I saw the Moon I thought I have to check the calendar and see when it is full,it looked full but sometimes I am a day or so off when I happen to notice a Full Moon. I checked the calendar and it was indeed a full Moon,I didn't think much more about it until this morning when I got up and again saw the Moon,that got me to thinking how long does a Full Moon last? I right away assumed it would be Moon rise to Moon set,but since I couldn't get that thought settled in my head I had to check it out.
A Full Moon occurs when the Sun and Moon are exactly opposite each other in the sky,when the Moon is 180 degrees away from the Sun,so technically a Full Moon lasts less than a minute! You can imagine my surprise at this,of course maybe I am the only one that didn't know this? Also of interest is the reason the size of the Moon varies is due to it having an elliptical orbit so at one time it will be nearer to Earth,also called a Supermoon. This photo is of a Supermoon.
Washington Moonrise

No comments:

Post a Comment