Thursday, February 23, 2012

Skirling

Maybe I am the only one that had never heard of the word skirl,but I ran across it in a book I am reading,and as they say,the rest is history. I checked with a friend of Scottish heritage and she had never heard it either so I thought I would pass it along.
This is straight from Webster's (Probably from Scandinavian,and related to shrill) To sound loudly and shrilly,as a bagpipe. To play as a bagpipe;play,as a tune on a bagpipe. n. The sound of a bagpipe. After poking around online a bit I also found out that there is a village named Skirling at the western edge of the Scottish Borders.
Some people can't stand bagpipe music,I actually like it especially when used in rock music. I love the bagpipes in ACDC "Long Way to the Top"(if you want to rock n roll). There is another song that employs the bagpipes that I have been trying to think of all day and have come up with zip,so if anyone knows what rock song I am thinking of let me know before it drives me to the edge.
click for bagpipe sound (wav)

1 comment: