Saturday, February 18, 2012

More on Pistachios

Do I hear a collective groan?? Not to worry this won't be long or tedious but I really want to weigh in on the getting the pistachios out of the shell part of yesterdays blog.
The author said that she just left the ones that weren't partly opened alone with the thought that if they weren't opened then something was wrong with them,and that attempts to open them would always fall short,and she even mentioned employing nuclear devices would fall short of the task. I am in the opposite camp on this subject,I can't stand to not open the ones that don't open easily,it is like a challenge to me and I am inclined to think that because there is extra work involved in getting to the meat that it will be special...of course I should mention at this point that I have smashed fingers while trying to use a tack hammer to crack them open. I have had better luck (so far) with a paring knife,inserting it as much as possible where there is a hint of a crack and then either prying them open or cutting them in half to get the prized meat. So far I haven't lost a digit,but realize it is probably only a matter of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment