Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Learning the Ropes

I got to thinking about these after yesterday's post,and the very last one I have no idea where it came from or if it is a local saying. I would appreciate it if anyone knows to pass that knowledge on to me.
"Give them enough rope and they will hang themselves". I didn't find where this one originated,but the meaning is if someone is talking about something they don't know about they will eventually make that known,also if someone is guilty of something and you let them keep talking they will reveal that.
"When you reach the end of your rope,tie a knot in it and hang on." (Thomas Jefferson)
"He who is anxious for the death of another has a long rope to pull." (French proverb)
"A bird on a tether no matter how long the rope,can always be pulled back." (Ronald Reagan)
"Sex at age 90 is like trying to shoot pool with a rope." (George Burns)
Now for my mystery saying..."She would bitch if she were hung with a new rope". I do have to add my 2 cents worth here by noting that #1 a new rope would be scratchy,of course if you were going to be hung it wouldn't matter for long. #2 With a old rope there would be a slight chance that it would be worn in a spot and might break and literally save your neck.

No comments:

Post a Comment