Friday, February 24, 2012

Nines

I thought when I read this tired old phrase that is would be fairly easy to root out the meaning,once again I was WRONG! Turns out that there are several theories about the origin of the phrase dressed to the nines there is nothing to support any of them. Plus the fact that there are many sayings using 9. The whole nine yards,cloud nine,to the ninth degree and others that are not coming to mind at this time. I also had no luck with putting on the dog which has always been a puzzler for me,once again only idle guesses although some were entertaining. The same luck,or rather lack of luck,held true for all gussied up,though it possibly relates to the early use of the noun Gussie (from a proper noun) for an effeminate man. Sorry about that,but you won't be learning anything new here today,try back tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment