Friday, July 24, 2015

Have Your Cake...and Eat It Too?

Fruitcake seems to be one of those things that people either hate or love,at least that's been my experience so far. In my never ending trivia quest I came across the Fruitcake Capital of The World,but when I went to see what was to be said about Clayton,Georgia it turned out to  be Claxton,GA,plus another location in Corsicana,Texas both claiming the dubious title of Fruitcake Capital. I'm with Johnny Carson on the belief that there are only a few fruitcakes and they are just regifted year after year,of course some folks might keep them for use as a doorstop. The one nagging question I had about fruitcakes was answered while perusing the available information...what the heck are the green things in fruitcake?? Turns out they are candied pineapple,of course there was no mention why they happen to be green since pineapples are a golden yellow. Speaking of fruitcake,they start making them in August for their upcoming holiday migration.
The Claxton Bakery in Georgia makes millions of pounds of fruitcake each year.

No comments:

Post a Comment