Sunday, July 12, 2015

The Eyes Have It

Since today is different colored eyes day I decided I would find out what causes heterochromia. It is a fairly uncommon condition (11 out of every 1,000 people). I thought I had only known one person with heterochromia,but upon learning more about it I discovered that I have known others but didn't know the complete definition at that time. As the color of the iris is developing a few months after birth the amount of the pigment melanin determines how light or dark the iris will become. When the concentration and distribution of melanin isn't uniform the eyes will become different colors. The other two types of heterochromia are central,which means that the eyes show various colors like a golden or brown ring around the pupil of a blue iris and sectoral which is when the iris has a splash of color different from that of the iris. In adults if there is a sudden onset of heterochromia it can be an indication of  a change in health.
eyes-colors-110125-02
eyes
eye color

No comments:

Post a Comment