Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Berghaus Seals

I often times find interesting things to share in books that I am reading and most authors do careful research so what they present is at least based on fact I thought that was the case with Berghaus seals,but that was not what I found when I went to further research the animals. I found zip,so I guess it was just the overheated imagination of the author. Still, I would like to share the idea of them as even fictitious glimpses into the animal world are kind of a fun way to let your mind off the tether for awhile.
Berghaus seals were supposedly unique in their mating habits. The females would only mate once with any male as it had been programmed into them that for their kind to survive they would need to vary the gene pool. The males however were programmed to kill the females after they had raised the young thus preventing them from mating with another male and producing competition for their own offspring.
 It sounds a little far fetched now that I have committed it to writing,but that is often the way in the animal world. It is almost as odd to think of animals that mate for life and yet that happens with many species,crows I know to be one but that is all I can come up with off the top of my head.

8 comments:

  1. Sometimes Darwinian explanations seem reverse engineered. No matter what the animals do they find an evolutionary advantage in it. If the male seals were fiercely protective of the mothers the Darwinists would say it provided an evolutionary advantage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds as if someone ellse was reading Jo Nesbo's THE SNOWMAN.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds as if someone ellse was reading Jo Nesbo's THE SNOWMAN.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was just reading the snowman.want to look out about this species, I googled the name and then this blog opens.

      Delete
  4. So am I... actually doing a repeat reading.... just after watching the movie based on this novel of Jo Nesbo... and did a search on Berhaus seals

    ReplyDelete
  5. At least Fahr's syndrome is real

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hahaha me too! Spelling is slightly different in the Snowman though. No g.

    ReplyDelete