Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Two Left Feet

I had never really given any thought to shoes being right or left,I totally took it for granted that was just the way shoes always had been,but that is not the case.
It wasn't until the 1850's that anyone thought to make differently shaped shoes for the right and left feet. I guess considering they were made with mostly flexible material that they would have worn to the feet,but did people notice that and wear them on the same feet all the time? I don't know the answer to that and couldn't find one while I was looking.
I did find out a little about how rubber evolved in the making of shoes,at first it was discarded as a viable material as it would become hard as rock in the cold and sticky like glue in the heat. Charles Goodyear was the one to stay with it and finally improve it quite by accident. Goodyear spilled a mixture of rubber and sulfur onto a pot-bellied stove which transformed the temperamental substance into a more stable one. Goodyear was lax though in applying for a patent and so Thomas Hancock of England was the one to cash in on his discovery.

No comments:

Post a Comment