Sunday, January 1, 2012

Sign Language

First of all I want to make sure no one confuses this with the book by Jerry Seinfeld titled "Sein Language",very funny book by the way.
What I am talking about today is the way people talk with their hands. I am an avid people watcher and am always amazed by how much gestures are a part of conversation. For instance often when a person says a number between 1 and 5 they will hold up the fingers signifying that number,not sure why that is maybe just a left over from pre-language times? Pointing is another very common gesture and again it is usually something that doesn't need to be pointed at. I enjoy making up the dialogue between people and when I see someone pointing to something obvious I always speak for the other person,and it usually goes something like this "of course I see that,how could I miss it? It is the plain as the ass on a goat!" "What? Do you think I am blind?" Then of course there are many other gestures and they don't all mean the same thing in different countries,so as a word of caution beware of talking with your hands when traveling,you may say something that you really don't intend to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment