Monday, January 23, 2012

Eye Colors

The book I am currently reading mentioned that only 2% of the world's population has green eyes. Being a member of such an exclusive group I was sceptical of that fact as I had never heard it,and have known others with green eyes so of course I had to investigate.
Eye color is genetically determined by a combination of two forms of melanin. About 75% of the eye color range is dependent on genetic variants in one small region of chromosome 15.
The most common eye color is brown,(my sister and my mother both had brown eyes) followed by blue or gray (my brother and father had gray eyes). Scientists originally believed eye color was determined by just one gene,but research has proven that eye color is determined by a number of genes,so parents can have children with any number of eye colors.
Eye color can change with age. Babies born with blue eyes that darken to brown are simply developing more melanin as they age. Eye color can also change in adults,this usually occurs in people with light eyes that darken as they age. (Once again I am rare in that my eyes used to be a darker green and have lightened with age.)
Heterochromia is when an eye is more than one color,for instance a blue eye with a brown spot in it,and complete heterochromia is when the eyes are different colors one brown and one blue or whatever combo it might be. I knew a gal with different colored eyes and always meant to ask her what her driver's license said her eye color was.
File:Greeneye.jpg

1 comment:

  1. Blue is from an absence of the melanin pigment. My blue eyes were very dark when we were kids and have grown lighter and more light sensitive as I've gotten older.

    ReplyDelete