Saturday, January 28, 2012

Spotted Hyenas

Hyenas are very intelligent,the proof to some would be their clans are led by the females! They are highly skilled hunters and kill 95% of their food,but are better known for their scavenging.
They are genetically closer to felines but their behavior is more like canines. They live throughout much of Africa and eastwards through Arabia to India. But none of this is what brought them to my blog today. In the course of my "studies" I came across a hard to imagine fact. Males in most species of hyena are larger than females,except spotted hyenas as the female is larger and dominates the male,also the female spotted hyena's external genitalia closely resembles that of the male. How can that be,you ask? Sorry I don't know,and couldn't find out any more about that aspect of them,which may be the final nudge I need to topple on over the edge! I just can't get a mental picture of this...but maybe that is just as well.
I did find out with a little further research that mating between hyenas involves a number of short copulations with brief intervals. The cubs are born almost fully developed,with their eyes open and erupting teeth,though they lack adult markings. I will let you know if I happen to stumble across more on this in the future.
Photo: A spotted hyena

No comments:

Post a Comment