Monday, January 30, 2012

Ventriloquist Dummies

This is not a pretty subject,now you can't say you weren't forewarned. This came about in my usual wandering way,what started it was looking in the mirror and thinking how the more I age the more my mouth looks like that of a ventriloquists dummy. Then I was trying to remember the famous ventriloquist and his dummy's name and all I could come up with was Edward G. Robinson and I was fairly certain that wasn't it. The duo I was thinking of was Edgar Bergen and Charlie McCarthy.
Edgar Bergen,the son of Swedish immigrants taught himself ventriloquism from a pamphlet when he was 11. A few years later he commissioned a Chicago woodcarver Theodore Mack to make a likeness of an Irish newspaper boy he knew. They started their career in vaudeville,but their real success was on the radio,and how odd is that considering ventriloquism is a visual skill for the most part.
I would like to leave you with this thought today...If it takes more muscles to frown than it does to smile,isn't frowning better exercise?
Bergen & McCarthy  Also pictured,Mortimer Snerd.

No comments:

Post a Comment