Saturday, January 7, 2012

Kitten Heels

Those of you that are regular readers know that my fashion sense in non-existent,or fashion challenged at the very least so I feel the need to explain how I arrived at today's blog. A few months ago on "Who Wants to be a Millionaire" there was a question about women's shoes and the choices for answers were,puppy heels,bunny heels,kitten heels and I don't recall the 4th one any longer. I did know that the answer was kitten heels as I had heard the term before,but had never really known what they were so from that time on I had been meaning to look it up so I would have the picture in my mind for future reference,if ever needed,though I don't know why it would be.
Kitten heels are small heels of 1.75 inches or less in height. They are classified as stiletto heels and despite their lack of height are generally classified as high heels because of their sex appeal,particularly when teamed with a sharp pointed toe or long winklepicker toe. This is an anomaly because a shoe or pump with regular wide heels of 1.5 inches high would be considered a flat shoe;it is the addition of a stiletto heel,however short,that turns it into a sexual accessory.
Kitten heels were introduced in the late 1950's as formal fashion attire for adolescent girls as higher heels would have been considered unseemly for girls as young as 13 because of sexual connotations and unease of walk. They were sometimes referred to as "trainer heels" in the U.S.,indicating their use in getting young girls used to wearing high heels. By the early 1960's they became fashionable for older girls and eventually for women of all ages.
At this point I have this comment to make...what is it that is sexual about high heels?? Or any shoe for that matter? Oh well,there is no hope for me when it comes to fashion.

No comments:

Post a Comment