Thursday, January 12, 2012

False Positives

There was a question on Millionaire the other day about what could give a false positive for a sobriety test and the answer was hand sanitizer,I had guessed that to be the answer but only because it was the only one listed that contained alcohol.
I have heard for years that mouthwash could cause a false positive on a sobriety test which is easy enough to understand as it contains alcohol and is used in the mouth,but hand sanitizers was news to me. It is not that surprising since they smell pretty much like vodka. What I found out was that using the product only a couple of times a day would not be enough to cause a difference,but professions that use it repeatedly throughout the day could lead to a false positive from the alcohol absorbed through the skin,this is also a possibility from using some cosmetics. People who are sensitive to alcohol,and those recovering from addiction,should be aware that the alcohol found in these products can be the same type as found in alcoholic beverages. I also found claims that if the person administering the sobriety test had used hand sanitizer it could give a false reading.
I am in no way condoning drunk driving but doesn't it seem like the equipment may be a bit overly sensitive if it can get false results so easily? I don't use the stuff myself for a couple of reasons,it is very drying for the skin and by using products such as sanitizers more resistant stains of bacteria are developing. Good old hand washing is the ticket for me,not only do you get to briefly play with water but you don't end up smelling like a drunk either!

No comments:

Post a Comment