Friday, January 6, 2012

Real Numbers?

Most everyone has noticed that when a phone number is given on TV or in movies it will always start with 555,here are a couple of things you might not have known.
The reason for these fictitious numbers is fairly obvious as some viewers can't seem to help dialing any number they see on the screen,so the number of crank calls had to be controlled. The 555 number dates back to the 60's and before the 555 was used for this purpose the KLondike exchange was used.
Today there are some real 555 numbers,such as directory assistance 555-1212. Businesses have also been able to purchase 555 numbers as an alternative to the 1-800 designation since 1994,though they're not popular. As for the 555's place in the movies,it is here to stay: the numbers from 555-0100 to 555-0199 are reserved for fictitious use.
As long as I am talking about things fictitious I might as well take this opportunity to correct the spelling of Berghaus Seals,it was actually Berhaus though they are still fictitious! I wrote it down in a note to myself correctly but then thinking I knew the correct spelling went ahead with it without checking. That will show me to trust my memory!

No comments:

Post a Comment