Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Indian summer

I was always taught that Indian summer was a patch of warm weather after the first frost,which is one meaning of the term. In some areas in the Southwestern US it is used to describe the hottest time of the year,late July or August. The term is also used to refer to the late blooming of something in the sense of revival.
The reason my thoughts have been on this for the past several "Umaless" days is I have been expecting to hear someone refer to this as Indian summer. Not that I am complaining as I will take the nice weather as long as I can,but the odd thing this year is so far only the ornamental trees are changing color and the rest aren't showing any changes yet,or not enough to be noticeable to yours truly.

1 comment:

  1. There are plenty of leaves on the paths at Ft. Stevens. They crunch when my bicycle tires go over them which is a very rewarding sound and which means we haven't had an ungodly amount of rain yet....thank you Indian Summer!

    ReplyDelete