Thursday, October 20, 2011

The Vortex

I debated whether to write about the predicament I found myself in yesterday and decided that since I had no intention of naming names it was something I wanted to bring attention to in hope of saving someone in the future from the same dilema. It may be a lofty goal as it is a huge problem and grows every day. The problem I am speaking of is prescription drug addiction,and more precisely how to not let yourself be fooled by it. It seems like the way it happens so easily is because the abusers tell themselves that it is perfectly legal and a "doctor" wants them to take it...from there it is all downhill.
First of all do NOT let yourself be intimidated by the drug abuser,if you notice something that sends up a red flag try to do something then as it is not going to get any better,and remember some of the most likely to abuse prescription drugs are nurses and drug counselors,again don't be intimidated use your good sense when you know something is wrong. Make as many people aware of the suspected problem as you can,sometimes imediate family really would rather look the other way and some continue to do so even when the realize there is a problem. Bring it to the attention of the health care providers when possible often the abuser is so good at hiding the problem that the people you think should be the first to notice don't notice at all,and of course they do see many people every day which allows things like this to escape their notice. If I have helped one person from this post today it will make my whole attempt at blogging worthwhile. Thank you for your time and interest.

1 comment:

  1. Having lived with addiction (alcohol/smoking) growing up (certain family members, not myself) it is not easy to be up front with those who are doing it or denying their problem. One of my addicted people (who is in recovery) once told me a drink of champagne (we were at a wedding) would not hurt him. I know I sounded shocked when I disagreed. He may have regretted his choice of who he shared that information with....

    ReplyDelete