Monday, March 19, 2012

Botulism

There was a question on Millionaire today about what the Latin word for Botulism meant...the answer was sausage. I had never heard this and only associated Botulism with improperly canned foods,which as it turns out is only one source. It can also be found in honey,corn syrup,cured pork and ham,and smoked or raw fish. It can also be inhaled or enter the body through a wound.
The recorded history begins in 1735,when the disease was first associated with German sausage. Botulism toxins are some of the most toxic substances know to man,and has been considered for use as a biological weapon.
I may not be able to write a blog tomorrow as I have a doctor appointment in the afternoon and we all know how long those can drag out,last time I had to go he had an emergency and had to leave and I was there almost 3 hours. I will try to put something together earlier in the day,but since I have other things that I need to do in the first half of the day I may not get the chance,if not check back the following day as surely something will have caught my attention and need to be addressed by then!

No comments:

Post a Comment