Sunday, March 18, 2012

In the Beginning...

I know I wonder about some downright silly things,and this is pretty much another one of those things. At the beginning of books where one would expect to find page one you don't always find page one,sometimes it is page three and I have also noticed a couple with page seven for the first page and even a page eleven. I have tried to find an answer to this that made sense to me and all I have really found just sounds like so much double talk and that they don't have any more of a clue for the reason than I do. It seems to be up to the publisher what number page one will be,some count the title page,dedication page if there is one,and sometimes the table of contents. They used to use Roman numerals for any forward,or prologue but I guess that method has fallen from favor,no idea why that would be either. Most people probably don't even notice what number the first page is, and I have to admit that the first time I noticed it was only a couple of years ago but if anyone has a valid explanation I would be happy to hear it and put this query to bed once and for all.
Some of you may remember back to when I mentioned the sign that said drawbridge always made me think I should pull over and get out some drawing materials and draw the bridge,now there is a sign saying bridge work which makes me think of a dental appliance...I know,just move on and let it go!

No comments:

Post a Comment