Monday, March 26, 2012

Ignorance

In my meanderings today I came across something that made me feel at least slightly ignorant. I have always known that there are many types of fruits and vegetables,apples,pears,oranges,onions and the list goes on. For some reason I never considered that there was more than one type of lemon. Shame on me!
Eurekas and Lisbons are the most common types of lemons found in stores as the Meyer lemons are more difficult to ship because of their thinner skin.
The Meyer lemon was originally found in China by Frank Meyer in 1908. Meyer was employed by the Department of Agriculture as a plant hunter. It is believed that the Meyer lemon is a hybrid between the lemon and mandarin orange. It is a very hardy plant and bears fruit for several months.
If you like the tang of lemons,but not the pucker Meyer lemons are for you,even their peel is slightly sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment