Thursday, March 29, 2012

Chewing Gum Ban

I read about this awhile ago and meant to look into it further but it slipped my mind and only recently resurfaced to my attention. I had remembered it taking place in Japan,when in fact it was Singapore. The ban was enacted in 1992 and revised in 2004 and 2010. It bans the import and sale of chewing gum in Singapore. Since 2004 only gum of therapeutic value is allowed.
This law was created because people disposed of gum by sticking it under tables and chairs. I have often wondered why people do things like that with gum,it isn't illegal most places in the world and yet people seem to want to hide it in unpleasant places. I am also continually surprised at the amount of gum I see on sidewalks,which can be nasty if stepped on in warm weather.
A proposal for this ban was brought to the Prime Minister as early as 1983,but no action was taken as a ban was thought too drastic. Chewing gum was causing serious maintenance problems in public housing,with vandals disposing of it in mailboxes,inside keyholes and on elevator buttons. Gum left on floors and pavement in public areas increased cleaning costs and damaged equipment. When vandals began sticking gum on door sensors of MRT trains,preventing the doors from functioning properly and causing disruption of service,the ban was decided on.

No comments:

Post a Comment