Thursday, March 22, 2012

Hostage Situation

You are probably all scratching your heads and wondering what I am going on about this time...mostly it is about insurance. In years past,long ago when dinosaurs roamed the earth,okay not quite that long ago but when I was a child people didn't have insurance. Some might have carried car insurance but it wasn't mandatory,and NO one had health insurance,nor was it supplied through and employer. Why you might ask? Because it wasn't needed first of all,people didn't go to the doctor at the drop of a hat and often the doctor came to them,yes I am talking house calls! As a child I had a mild case of Scarlet Fever and the doctor made a house call as I was to sick to travel,and we lived WAY out of town plus if I recall correctly he wasn't even coming from the town we lived 9 miles outside of. Then someone decided insurance would be a good idea and it was all downhill from there. The prices went up and then eventually the doctors started having to carry malpractice insurance which further raised the prices until the point where the only people that can afford the doctors are the ones that the state is paying for. And in case that isn't all enough for you, once you buck up and agree to pay for whatever procedure the doctor decides you need to have you don't get to know until they decide to tell you what the tests did or did not reveal. I don't know about the rest of you,but it seems to me that something here is really out of whack. It feels to me like I am being held hostage by either the insurance people,the doctors or both.
With all that off my chest,I didn't even have time to crack my book open when I went for my mammogram today,so at least I did have that one good thing going.

No comments:

Post a Comment