Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Drive My Car

"Drive My Car" was primarily written by Paul McCartney with lyrical contributions from John Lennon and first released by The Beatles in 1965.
Today's topic is something I came across that I found surprising. Sir Malcolm Campbell set several land speed and water speed records,between 1928 and 1935 six land speed records were set in the US at Daytona Beach,Florida and Bonneville Salt Flats in Utah. He named all his vehicles "Blue Bird" which he considered to be his lucky name,and all were painted blue. The second "Blue Bird" car was constructed in 1926,and set a new record of 174.883 mph in South Wales. The car kept evolving as new records were attempted. In 1928 Campbell drove the second "Blue Bird" at Daytona to set a record of 206.956 mph. Between 1931 and 1933 Campbell established three land speed records ranging from 246.09 mph to 272.46 mph. The last record set in Daytona by Campbell was 276.82 mph in 1935. On September 3,1935 at age 50 he set his last land record at Bonneville,301.13 mph. Campbell never raced on land again,instead turning his attention to Water Speed records. Both "Blue Bird" cars to set the records still exist.
I didn't realize cars could or would be built to go that fast in those days...silly me,there I go thinking again!

Painting by Arthur Benjamins


No comments:

Post a Comment