Monday, July 16, 2012

The Stroke

The Stroke was written and recorded by American rock artist Billy Squier in 1981.
I guess my mind was in the gutter when I thought I knew what this song was about,but I am pretty sure I wasn't the only one! It is actually about how musicians get used. I chose this for today's title as it shows how things can be easily misunderstood.
When I went to Australia I was surprised at how difficult it was to understand people,I knew they were speaking English but it was so different it was almost foreign. One of the phrases that I thought was particularly explanatory was Smash Shops or Clinics which in the US we call auto body shops. Instead of signs saying No Wake their signs said No Wash,and Give Way replaced the Yield sign.
To continue with this same thought I am including some words and what the mean in British English and American English,the first ones listed will be British followed by American English:
Banger-sausage or old motorcar/ a gang member (gang banger)
Bathroom-room with shower or tub but not necessarily a toilet/ a room containing a toilet and sink often a shower and tub as well
Beaver-beard,bearded man/female pubic hair,genitalia
Bird-girlfriend or young female/insulting hand gesture with middle finger extended
Bomb-striking success/a failure
Boob tube-woman's strapless dress/TV
Bum-a persons buttocks/hobo,homeless person
Bunk-absent without authorization/group of plain beds.

No comments:

Post a Comment