Tuesday, November 22, 2011

A Couple of Tidbits

The weather was so nasty today I wasn't even tempted to try to walk with Uma,I would have been soaked in a couple of minutes,so instead I went to the weight room at the local pool to use a treadmill,which brings me to the first tidbit for the day.Treadmills were devised by an English civil engineer named Sir William Cubitt in the early 1800's at the time they were called tread wheels and were used to reform stubborn and idle convicts. They would tread on the 24 spokes of a large paddle wheel similar to a modern StairMaster. As the spokes turned,the gears were used to pump water or crush grains,hence the eventual name treadmill. It was abandoned in the late 19th century for being too cruel. The treadmill made a comeback in the 1960's when the benefits of aerobic exercise were discovered.
The 2nd tidbit of the day is totally unrelated but something I have wanted to include for some time but never found a spot where it fit in...not that those kind of things usually bother me! It is flavors of Pepsi outside the U.S. some of the ones I found were Ice Cucumber,Ice Cream,Baobab,and Yogurt (also known as Pepsi White). This lead me to want to know what Baobab was,from what I found the tree that produces the fruit only grows in certain areas of Africa and has a tangy taste of Carmel pear with a hint of grapefruit. All I can say at this point is to each their own...I think I will stick with water!

No comments:

Post a Comment