Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Words to Ponder

I was doing a brain twist this morning, which is part of my waking up the brain routine,and ran into an interesting word that was in none of my dictionaries. Most of them are older as it seems useless to replace them when so many words appear almost on a daily basis,plus it is easier to just look things up online. The word was 'plimp' and it was describing a well dressed man is what it said in the puzzle,so of course I had to see if it was indeed a real word and it is but I found nothing that agreed exactly  with that definition. In the Urban Dictionary it means: Playa mixed with pimp,also a man with old school ways that thinks his ways are compelling.
Next word up is one that has always bothered me,substantial. First of all the prefix sub means under or below and following that logic that would mean something that was substantial was below stantial,two problems with that, first problem is stantial is not a word,the second problem is substantial means: abundant,ample having substance. I guess it is just one of those weird English words that has no explanation for why it doesn't make sense.
The next is a word that to my knowledge doesn't exist but probably should,that word would be hyperdysfunctional,or perhaps extra dysfunctional as there are people that the word dysfunctional just doesn't began to cover.

No comments:

Post a Comment