Saturday, November 12, 2011

Superstitious

I had unfurled Uma for our walk today and as I was putting her on the front porch to dry I started belittling myself for being superstitious about bringing her inside to dry which would entail the old open umbrella in the house superstition,and silly as it might be I always figure it is better to not tempt fate. From that point the rest was all downhill,I had to see what kind of basis this belief came from.
Ancient Egyptians believed the umbrella to have magical powers as they protected them from the sun god (Ra),to open them inside would be offensive to the sun god.
Another theory is the umbrella was a protection against life's storms and to open one inside would cause the households guardian spirts to leave in anger.
Scientifically the storing of a damp or wet umbrella inside could cause it to spontaneously combust,and that would be very unlucky!

No comments:

Post a Comment