Sunday, December 4, 2011

Absent that Day?

Quite by accident I learned a couple of days ago that Gitchi Gummi was the American Indian name for Lake Superior. Is this something that was taught in school and I missed? All I remember about Gitchi Gummi is it being mentioned in "Song of Hiawatha". In addition to this revelation I found out that Gitchi meant big and Gummi meant water,which makes sense in the "Song of Hiawatha" as it is mentioned as the shining big sea water.
The song by Gordon Lightfoot,The Sinking of the Edmond Fitzgerald describes the lake. "The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down of the big lake they called Gitche Gumee". The lake it is said,never gives up her dead when the skies of November turn gloomy. With a load of iron ore twenty- six thousand tons more than the Edmond Fitzgerald weighed empty that good ship on true was a bone to be chewed when the "Gales of November" come early. You will also note that the spelling differs from the song and the Indian name,and I found no reason for this so it leaves me with yet another unanswered question.

No comments:

Post a Comment