Monday, December 5, 2011

Father's Day

I know,not until the third Sunday in June, but I read something interesting about it this morning and will surely forget it by the time the warmth of June graces us. What I read was that Father's Day was started in Spokane,WA. and I thought how is it possible that I didn't know this holiday was started in the Pacific Northwest? I guess for the most part it is fact,in 1910 Sonora Dodd asked the Spokane Ministerial Alliance for a day honoring her dad who single handedly raised his six children after his wife died in childbirth. The first one celebrated was on June 19,1910 the Sunday closest to her dads birthday. However according to Wikipedia the first Father's Day took place in Fairmont,W.Virginia on July 15,1908 it was organized by Grace Golden Clayton who wanted to honor the lives of the 210 fathers who had been lost in a mining disaster several months earlier. It is interesting that this date was also decided by the Sunday closest to her dads birthday.
In 1966 President Lyndon B. Johnson officially proclaimed it a national holiday and it was decreed by law in 1972.

No comments:

Post a Comment