Thursday, December 22, 2011

Portmanteau

This very morning I was thinking about portmanteau and told myself I couldn't remember exactly which thing it was,so I was going to look it up when I got back home. As often happens by the time I got back home I had forgotten about all that and went on with my day,and in the way things have a weird way of intertwining I happened across several portmanteaus I had never heard before,but before I get to them I want to give you the first definition of the word.
Portmanteau-An oblong leather suitcase,hinged at the back and having two compartments.
Portmanteau word-A word blended from two distinct words,as chortle,for chuckle and snort.
First of all,I don't think I knew chortle as being a portmanteau so shows you what I know. Brunch is an obvious one,but have you ever heard of blunch? An English magazine in 1896 warned that the combination meal is nearer breakfast in brunch and when nearer luncheon is blunch. How about Crilk? A mixture or cream and milk. Insinuendo,half insinuation,half innuendo. Alcoholiday,leisure time spent nursing a drink. Bungaloafer,one who loafs in his bungalow.
This word doesn't fit with the rest but is one I had never read before and would like to share.Thalian-comic.

No comments:

Post a Comment