Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Wog or Pog

Another little something I came across that I don't recall hearing before and as it turns out there is a reason.
In the US "wog" is simply short for Pollywog,the term used by sailors for those who have yet to cross the equator.
In UK it is a racially offensive slang word referring to a dark-skinned or olive skinned person from Africa or Asia,but in particular to Afro-Caribbeans and immigrants for the Middle-East and Mediterranean.
In older Australian English wog was used to refer to an illness such as the flu or malaria. More recently the term applied to post WWII migrants from the Mediterranean,North Africa,and Southeast Europe. Just a little something that is hopefully new for you to enhance your day!
I have been wondering about something,and if anyone has any ideas please let me know. I have mentioned in the past that people from all over the world read my blog,but out of all the places in the world that do read it there are NO readers in Canada. Just seems a bit odd so I thought I would put it out there. Again,I thank you for your continued interest.

No comments:

Post a Comment